We have put together a selection of frequently asked questions about the Lean RCM Award and qualification process. If you have any queries that are not covered below please get in contact with us and we’ll be happy to help.
Brief Overview of the Lean RCM Qualification
EMS Cognito’s Lean RCM process combines world class methodologies from the automotive and aircraft industries and is used for optimising the reliability of asset intensive processes.
- The vehicle for applying Lean RCM is the, team-based, EMS Cognito Lean RCM Masterclass programme combining 5 key stages:
- Management Ownership Workshop
- Lean RCM Foundations Workshop
- Analysis and Implementation
- Masterclass Review
- The Lean RCM Masterclass programme is facilitated by a person who can demonstrate their competence via the Lean RCM Qualification at certificate 3 – Lean RCM Facilitator
- The Lean RCM qualification is a customised award owned by EMS Cognito Ltd and assured by the Scottish qualifications Authority (SQA)
- This customised award will help EMS Cognito customers increase skills levels in their workforce. Because they are competence based, they also allow the customer to demonstrate that its people are competent and can do everything their customers will ask of them.
- It is a qualification that has been developed to recognise best practice asset reliability and operational productivity skills and competence within individuals operating in the manufacturing and industrial sectors
- The award is Credit Rated on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF), formally recognising the level and credit points of the qualification. The SCQF rating system is compatible with other qualifications rating systems in the UK
- More information about the SQA and the SCQF rating system is available on the website http://www.sqa.org.uk/
- There are 3 levels of Lean RCM Qualification
- Certificate 1 – Lean RCM Theory – intended to demonstrate an understanding of the theories of lean manufacturing and reliability centred maintenance
- Certificate 2 – Lean RCM Practitioner – this qualification demonstrates an individual’s ability to apply Lean RCM theory, improving asset reliability and productivity.
- Certificate 3 – Lean RCM Facilitator – the highest level of award equivalent to 49 credits at ordinary degree level, this qualification demonstrates an individual’s ability to lead others through the successful implementation of the Lean RCM process to improve asset reliability and productivity
The following table taken from the SQA website contains hyperlinks providing more information about each level of the qualification
|Title of Qualification/ Learning Programme||SCQF Level||SCQF Credit Points||Period of Credit Rating From:||Period of Credit Rating To:|
|Lean RCM Practitioner||6||17||19/02/2014||31/10/2020|
|Lean RCM Facilitator||9||49||19/02/2014||31/10/2020|
|Lean RCM Theory||4||4||19/02/2014||31/10/2020|
Why has the Lean RCM Qualification been introduced by EMS Cognito?
Whilst there are several vocational qualifications in place for Lean Manufacturing, EMS Cognito observed an absence of any such awards which recognises reliability best practice skills and knowledge and in particular, Reliability Centred Maintenance. The absence of such an award until now is surprising considering the growth in the number of employers in manufacturing and other industrial sectors demanding high-calibre engineering, maintenance and operations professionals with knowledge of these best practice skills.
By introducing this award, EMS Cognito has provided the standard for employers to measure current and potential employees to ensure their teams have the skills and competence to deliver world-class asset performance.
What are the benefits of gaining the Lean RCM Qualification?
- Demonstration of a high standard of competence in their field of knowledge
- Improves promotion and career prospects
- Further learning and development opportunity
- Recognition of employee contribution to asset performance
- Offering the opportunity for further learning and development enhances the company’s reputation
- A demonstration to customers of a commitment to high customer service level through reliability and lower operating costs
How is this Qualification recognised?
The Lean RCM qualification is a customised award assured and accredited by the SQA. This external verification by a respected and renowned qualifications authority guarantees a robust process is consistently and fairly applied in all situations across all industrial sectors.
The award is Credit Rated on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF), formally recognising the level and credit points of the qualification. The SCQF rating system is compatible with other qualifications rating systems in the UK and allows employers to understand the complexity and volume of learning material involved in achieving the award at each level.
Already, before its official launch, EMS Cognito has customers in many industries including; Food Manufacturing, Water Industry, Waste and Recycling and Automotive Industry with employees actively participating in programmes to gain this qualification. Some of these companies are planning to introduce this qualification as a requirement in their internal progression systems for operations and maintenance personnel.
Over the past 2 years, in the development of this qualification, EMS Cognito has observed a strong demand within its customer base for this type of qualification. As a result, we fully expect, over time, that the qualification will become an established and recognised standard for companies operating in manufacturing and industrial sectors.
Why are there 3 different levels of the Qualification?
Most companies, depending on the size, will have the need for a few individuals qualified to Lean RCM Facilitator however many more employees will be involved in applying the Lean RCM process. Some of these employees will require some basic knowledge of the process in support of the day-to-day activities whilst others will be involved in the analysis and implementation of Lean RCM under the guidance of a qualified Lean RCM Facilitator.
The 3 levels are therefore in recognition of this balance of needs and have been defined as:
Certificate 1 – Lean RCM Theory: Providing the theory and background of Lean RCM intended for individuals who will be involved in day-to-day operation of autonomous maintenance processes derived from the Lean RCM process. In terms of the level of difficulty, this level of the qualification broadly equates to GCSE and can be achieved by passing a written theory test following a 3-day training workshop.
Certificate 2 – Lean RCM Practitioner: A demonstration of an individual’s understanding and competence in applying the Lean RCM process to improve the reliability of an asset. This level of the qualification is comparable in difficulty to elements of an HNC. To gain this award requires participants and in a 15-day Lean RCM Masterclass programme of an approximate 3 month period.
Certificate 3 – Lean RCM Facilitator: The person who thoroughly understands the theory of Lean RCM such that they are able to train others and facilitate others through the application of the process. This level of the qualification is comparable in difficulty to elements of an ordinary degree and will require the person to develop these skills, culminating in running a Lean RCM Masterclass process on their own, over a 9 month period
How will the qualification be assessed?
The below table demonstrates how the qualification will be assessed when the programme is delivered with or without EMS Cognito
What happens if a candidate fails an assessment?
The following table sets out the process for reassessment of a candidate following failure at any certificate level.
|Certificate Level||Programme / stage||Course of action|
|1||During a 3-day off-site workshop delivered by EMS Cognito||Candidates may resit, a ½ day on-site refresher followed by the written test will be required, costs apply|
|During an on-site-workshop up to 5 days delivered by EMS Cognito||Candidates may resit, a ½ day on-site refresher followed by the written test will be required, costs apply|
|During a Masterclass delivered by EMS Cognito||Candidates may resit, there will be opportunities during the course of the Lean RCM Masterclass to resit the written test therefore, provided this can be accommodated, no additional costs apply|
|During a ½ day refresher and test for those trained by another Lean RCM qualified facilitator or as part of RPL with EMS Cognito||Candidates may resit, a further ½ day on-site refresher followed by the written test will be required, costs apply|
|2||During a Masterclass delivered by EMS Cognito||The EMS Cognito consultant’s role is to coach the candidates through application of the Lean RCM process therefore if a candidate is off-track they will be given feedback and the opportunity to address any deficiencies during a Masterclass programme. If the candidates workbook is still unsatisfactory at the end of the Masterclass then the candidate may resit however this will require further on-site assessment, costs will apply|
|During on-site 1:1 assessment for those trained by another Lean RCM qualified facilitator or trained in a prior programme with EMS Cognito||The candidate may resit however this will require further on-site assessment, costs will apply|
|3||During 7 days on-site assessment by EMS Cognito||The EMS Cognito consultant’s role is to coach the candidates therefore if a candidate is off-track they will be given feedback and the opportunity to address any deficiencies during the scheduled programme. If the candidates workbook is still unsatisfactory at the end of the scheduled programme then the candidate may resit however this will require further on-site assessment, costs will apply|
Lean RCM Facilitator
What is a Lean RCM Facilitator able to do?
- A Lean RCM Facilitator is able to facilitate Lean RCM Masterclass programmes to improve reliability and productivity.
- Train and coach others in Lean RCM at Certificate 1 – Lean RCM Theory and Certificate 2 – Lean RCM Practitioner in preparation for assessment for the qualification.
- Support the development of other prospective Lean RCM Facilitators by co-facilitating Lean RCM programmes with them in preparation for assessment at Certificate 3.
Are there any materials available for a qualified facilitator to use to deliver a Lean RCM Masterclass Programme?
EMS Cognito will provide electronic copies of its copyright Lean RCM materials, methods and templates to a customer site, under a single site licence agreement, for use by the Lean RCM Facilitators to deliver Lean RCM Masterclass Programmes. These materials will be provided free of charge for those who have been trained by EMS Cognito Ltd through its Lean RCM Masterclass programmes.
How can a site develop a Lean RCM Facilitator in the absence of the opportunity to run a Lean RCM Masterclass programme at one of its operational sites?
Subject to availability and the agreement of all parties, EMS Cognito would be able to offer prospective Lean RCM Facilitators the opportunity to:
- Participate in a Lean RCM Masterclass programme at another EMS Cognito customer to gain Lean RCM Certificate 1 and Certificate 2.
- Co-facilitate a Lean RCM Masterclass programme at another EMS Cognito customer as part of the requirements to gain Lean RCM certificate 3.
- Costs would apply for each of the above items depending on individual circumstances.
What further support will be required from EMS Cognito?
- A Lean RCM Facilitator is able to facilitate Lean RCM Masterclass Programmes and thus train others in the same organisation the standard required for Certificate 1 – Lean RCM Theory and Certificate 2 – Lean RCM Practitioner
- As owner of the Lean RCM qualification and a recognised SQA award centre, EMS Cognito is the only body permitted to assess candidates for this qualification and as such, will conduct all candidate assessments at all certificate levels
- In order to achieve Unit 4-Lean RCM Facilitator skills as part of Certificate 3-Lean RCM Facilitator, candidates must attend a 3-day workshop run by an EMS Cognito trainer. This workshop can be held on site or prospective candidates can join an “open” workshop, or one being held at a third party customer site
- Table 1 sets out the extent of the involvement of EMS Cognito Ltd in the assessment of an individual at each Lean RCM certificate level
- Costs apply for training and consultancy services and certification of candidates