Plan for the year ahead
Do you know where you are headed in 2016? Can you say that where ever you work in an organisation you know the personal contribution you make?
“Hi, I’m Jack Kennedy. What are you doing?”
“Well, Mr. President,” the janitor responded, “I’m helping put a man on the moon.”
To most people, this janitor was just cleaning the building. But in the more mythic, larger story unfolding around him, he was helping to make history.
Why is this important? Surly if the leaders know where they are going everyone else will follow. In this situation how confident will the employees be at making the right decisions? I suspect all decisions will deviate back to the leaders who end up with more and more work resulting in poor performance of the business. There is a different way, we can share throughout the organisation the objectives and goals we are all working to.
The difference between a “Performing” and “High Performing” business is strategic planning at all levels of the organisation. This is recognised in 7 steps.
- Establish the organisations vision – what makes you the best? Why would a customer come to you instead of a competitor?
- Develop the objectives of the organisation – what service do you provide? What do you do that meets the needs of your customer?
- Develop goals – in numbers what goals are your objectives driving you towards?
- Develop strategies – how will these goals be achieved?
- Develop Measures – how will you know the strategies are working?
- Cascade the strategies of the organisation to the next level
- Periodic review of the measures to ensure the goal is achieved.
These steps build a strategic document called OGSM, it pulls all the objectives, goals, measures and strategies together in one place so whoever you are in an organisation you know and understand the impact your role has on the business goals.
Make an IMPACT today develop an OGSM for your company.